Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Closely Knit

Paige may just quit her day job and open a Beenie Boutique. She'll call it Kancer Knits (or something equally obnoxious) and hock the little caps she makes while sitting with Liz at chemo. It will be one of those places you walk into and say something nice to the shop proprietor like, "My, you have lovely things..." though in your head you are thinking, "Why would anyone buy this?"

Or maybe Paige should stick to the law (especially since Liz had to undo a good portion of the crafting Paige did do).

But what else do you do while sitting for four hours as the sweet nurses pump you full of chemicals except alter your knit-challenged daughter's handy work?

Day two/week two of chemo is over! {Insert Audible Cheering Here}. Liz is glad to have this first round behind her. She is feeling remarkably good, though she is a tad tired and is still fending off a nasty cold (which probably has more to do with the fatigue than the chemo does). Minimal side effects have plagued her thus far for which she is extremely grateful (as are her children who have barely had to exercise any care-taking muscles...phew!). The chemo itself is a rather painless process as the nurses use Liz's port to administer the drugs (which means minimal poking) all while offering her graham crackers and cranberry juice. It's a little like being at a really bad restaurant...one where you would walk out thinking, "Why would anyone go in there?"

She now gets a week off before heading back for more poison on February 23rd. She hopes that she continues to keep feeling good, keep the side-effects minimal, and keep her knitting hands nimble.

We are all so grateful for the generosity of friends and family who have rallied around her with good wishes, worthy prayers, acts of service (both to Liz and to others on her behalf), and yummy treats! You have no idea how your kindness has lifted us all. There are blessings in being closely knit. . .

Liz Passes the Time at Chemo
Wanna Buy a Hat??


2 comments:

  1. Lookin' good Liz. I bought one of those knit things for one of my grandkids for Christmas last year. He couldn't do it, so I tried, I couldn't do it so Megan took over and she did just fine:)! You don't just hang in there...you climb agressively over that mountain...I know you can do it!! and you and I both know your security and peace comes from that great gift we have, the Holy Ghost. Draw on Him often, lean on Him always and receive the blessings you have earned through all your compassionate acts of service for others. Love you, Jan

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the hats you are making - very theraputic I would think. It's good to be busy, as you always have been. I always love that about you; so ambitous, creative and determined! You have been a mentor to me in more ways than one. So glad to hear you are feeling pretty good. You are in my prayers daily. I wish I could be there to visit with you. I miss that. Love ya, DeAnn

    ReplyDelete