Monday, March 14, 2011

Unforgettable...

It was a perfect day. Blue sky. Sun shining. Family and friends gathering to remember an unforgettable person. Good food. Lots of laughing. Old friends reuniting to share memories. It was as if Liz planned it herself...
She pretty much did. And she would've loved it. Liz hoped her memorial would be a celebration of her life. And it was. She hoped the boys would tell funny stories. They did. She wanted everyone to eat well, stay and chat, enjoy each other. It was all that.
We can't be sure how many people attended, but the Stake Center was filled to capacity and the over 1000 peanut-butter-balls (Liz's signature treat) prepared for the guests were all quickly devoured. As her family, we were overwhelmed by the out-pouring of love and support. But we were not surprised...
For Liz gave everything to so many others, it is no shock they showed up in droves to give a little back. We laughed, we cried, we did both simultaneously. It was a special day.
The following is the poem Paige wrote and read at the memorial:

Her Part

Sometimes mere words are not enough
To say what's in the heart
For in our lives are people who
Just play a bigger part

She played the part of teacher
For all those who took the class
A clearer voice, the lisp was fixed
That stutter gone at last

She played the part of foodie
All fine restaurants she could find
Breakfast, lunch or dinner
Eating out was on her mind

She played the party-planner
No event too big or small
Weddings, birthdays, showers
If it's fun she'd do it all

She played the part of tour-guide
Just what do you want to do?
Museums, shopping, culture, sports
Then maybe hit the zoo?

She played the part of cherished friend
Who'd always lend an ear
To listen, comfort, laugh, advise
And silence any fear

She played the part of servant
His work done here on earth
Helping those around her
Understand how much they're worth

She played the part of grandma
Sharing stories, hugs and books
Passing down a legacy
Of love, of time, good looks...

To Him she is His daughter
Whose life stands tall and true
As the consummate example of
Just what we ought to do

But to me she is my mother
All these parts wrapped into one
A tour-guide, teacher, servant and
A friend second to none

Now my part is to follow
The clear path that she has set
And live a life with meaning
With intention, no regret

But more than all the parts she played
Was the whole she knew to be
Her sacrifice, her love, her heart
Those gifts I keep with me.

We love you mom. We miss you. We hope to live the life you wanted for us. May we always remember your example. May you remain unforgettable.

10 comments:

  1. Words are inadequate when I wish to express my love and appreciation for my friendship with Liz and the rest of the family. Suffice it to say that you all are part of my favorite people on Earth and your lives have touched mine in so many significant ways....from living down the street from a family with 5 boys (planting the dream of having 4 sons of my own, learning about athletic support, my only ride in a police car and learning the definition of "co-hort", vacations spent together at the beach house, knowing when it was time to send the "boys" home, inspiring and testimony-building Young Women leadership, becoming a "10-cow woman" in the company of friends, family, hula dancers and cute guys in lava-lavas, to my wedding luncheon in your backyard.....and that only covers the first 20 of 40 years!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you to each and every person who played a part in Saturday's celebration. There were laughter and tears, but I found myself leaving at 4:30 pm with a full heart and the Spirit confirming to me, "What a most amazing and wonderful day." I know that is not the stereotypical way one feels when leaving a funeral, but certainly, Liz was no average woman. And as I questioned the appropriateness of ending a day spent with some of the people who have meant the most to me throughout my life, I realized that this was Liz's goal for her last Earthly party; and as usual, Liz achieved her goal and gave me the gift of yet again, one of the best days of my life!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Liz's crowning achievement lives on...her posterity. It was an incredible day fitting for an incredible woman.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for updating the blog with these pictures, memories of the service for Liz, and Paige's beautiful poem. The service was amazing and something I will always remember. Liz will still be with us as we remember the person she was, how she affected us, and the way she handled the last year of her life. I am glad to have this blog to look at when I want to spend some special time with her.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much for posting Paige's poem! You all did a wonderful job honoring your mom at the service. And thank you for letting us be part of her journey!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful Poem Paige. I too thank you for this blog -- I am grateful for technology to help me to feel close to you all through this tough time. My heart goes out to you all -- I love ALL of you!! and know that Liz is so very proud of you all and i'm sure she's already working so very hard. Never a dull moment with her.:) Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Liz was such an amazing woman and such a beautiful friend. I feel so blessed to have had her in my life. If we could all be a little more Liz-like, oh how the world would be such a better place. I will miss her love, support, advice and friendship. She was one of a kind for sure . . . . You kids did such an amazing tribute at her memorial. What an amazing day for such an amazing woman. I know she is smiling now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks so much for taking the time to post the memorial pictures on the blog. It's been so long since I've seen any of you, it is just a delicious pleasure to see you:)! Your mom is one of the very special ones as you obviously know...something for which you can ALWAYS be grateful. Honor your legacy. Love you all...Jan

    ReplyDelete
  9. Liz will not be forgoten because she touched so many people's hearts and lives. I am also grateful for your update, to mourn the loss and celebrate her life. She is an amazing woman and I will forever be grateful to have been one whose life she touched. If I can be half the woman she was I will call my life blessed.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you, very much, for updating the blog with the events of the memorial. Sister Hatch has been a very influential person in my life and future goals. I had just come back to Iraq from being with my brother in Hawaii when I got the news that Liz passed away. I was shocked and cried for two days. How I wish I could have been there.

    Please know, that Liz was and is loved. I pray everyone will be and is comforted.

    Thank you again for this update, and for sharing such a great lady with the rest of us.

    Much love from the TRI-Valley "Hatch, Francis, Hoover" era... and many miles away in Iraq,

    Pili girl~

    ReplyDelete